Thursday, August 25, 2005

Putting the Wheels Back on the Cart

OK, I got overconfident a bit too early. On Tuesday evening, I was congratulating myself for how smoothly this transition week seemed to be going. The boys were back in school with relatively few traumas, the schedule seemed to be going ok, and my own personal "situation" seemed to be progressing well.

By that I mean that I've been attempting to restore some order to the parts of my life that take a back seat during summer vacation. You moms know what I mean...our "routines" fall apart. The things that we take time to do while the kids are in school suddenly go undone during summer vacation. For me, these routines include my personal reading and prayer time, going to the gym, time spent in conversation with my girlfriends, haircuts, going to weight watchers, etc. Also sadly neglected have been my web responsibilities for CatholicMom.com (thus the stacks of books and mail sitting around my office). During summer, time with my family takes priority over everything else.

Anyway, on Tuesday night as I was drifting off to sleep I thought I had things pretty well under control - and then yesterday hit. Yesterday was the first full day of school, and it reminded me about how crazy our schedule is for nine months of the year. I won't go into all of the gory details, but will just say that there was lots of driving, too many activities, too much homework, bad meal planning and implementation (i.e. cereal for dinner for 3/4 of the family), an overdose of stress and a lost book resulting in an hour delay in the already too late bedtime...

So apparently I don't have it all under control and it's going to take a little more work and a lot more prayer to ease the transition to the chaotic school year schedule. This morning, I'm setting aside some time to desperately attempt to get organized and to find that book (something Eric needs that remains lost despite repeated pleas to St. Anthony - I think he's trying to send me a message that I need to get my act together).

If you're facing the same issues around your home, please know that I'm praying for you as I pray for my own peace of mind. If, unlike me, you do have your act together, would you please say an extra prayer for a crazy woman in California and for that lost book? Thanks!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you wonder how they can LOSE a book...where could they go with the book...It sort of makes you wonder if he really had it with him in the first place. It is probably going to be a good lesson for the rest of the year...like "always take you shoes off in the same place.." I can't wait to hear just where you find the lost book! MOM

Anonymous said...

May I suggest trying flylady.com? She understands about chaos and stress and has a system to help everyone with babysteps!

Unknown said...

KC - You're awesome! Your comment email was surrounded by flylady digests in my inbox. I usually frantically delete them once a week, but I guess I really should start reading (and implementing) her system. Now if I could just find my control journal....

Cami, thanks for those prayers - I found the book, on the shelf at the bookstore...

Mom, unfortunately, I'm the one who lost the book, not Eric. He gave it to me to read. We all know that I have a few books in my office, so it's my fault!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa

What do your boys do for extracurricular activities. My daughter does two things and that is enough when I or my husband has to get her there. I recently met a woman on the bus into work and as a single mother I thought she was mad as she had her young son in cubs, basketball, a boys choir and learnig the recorder. She said from the different activities he was seeing male role models and making friends outside school as he was an only child. However he also had practices for the recorder, the choir and the sport which meant more scheduled activity. She complained he had sleeping problems and I thought maybe it is because he is overscheduled and had no down time