Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Our Prayers Continue

I was able to speak with my baby sister Brady, the bravest woman in Mississippi, last night and am feeling much better for having talked with her. As a management employee of Mississippi Power, Brady had to report for "storm duty" immediately after Katrina passed through her hometown of Gulfport.

On her special cell phone last night, Brady spoke with me for an hour about her initial impressions...everything from learning that her storm duty location on Highway 90 was completely destroyed, to driving her truck over tree limbs and around power lines, to all of the the incredible people she's working with to help restore power to Mississippi. She told me about one employee who wandered in to work with a dazed look, explaining that his home had been completely destroyed and that he'd just walked several miles to report to work. The efforts are herculean, and the people who are undertaking all of this hard work have lost everything but are just happy to be alive. Brady and other Mississippi Power employees are on the job.

I warned Brady - my petite five foot two inch, size two sister - not to don any hardhats and start climbing up power poles, but I wouldn't put it past her. My prayers for her safety and for that of all of the rescue workers continue.

I thought I'd share the following, which landed in my mailbox this morning:

Prayer Attributed to St. Augustine

Watch, dear Lord, with those who wake or watch or weep tonight, and give your angels charge over those who sleep. Tend your sick ones, O Lord Jesus Christ, rest your weary ones, bless your dying ones, soothe your suffering ones, shield your joyous ones, and all for your love’s sake. Amen.


Thanks to Julie at HolyCards.com for this lovely angel.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Beautiful prayer. I shall keep your family close in thought and prayer.