Tuesday, August 30, 2005

First off, let me say that my family who live in Gulfport are alive, and for that we are counting our blessings as we pray for the repose of the souls of those lost and for the brave people out searching for the missing.

The devastation is difficult to take in...I find myself at a loss for words. We don't know the condition of my parents' or my sister's home, but have fears that my brother in law's law firm (also my daddy's employer), may be badly damaged to the point of total destruction. My brave sister Brady, who works for Mississippi Power, is out and about today working with her teams to restore power. Please pray for her safety.

It appears that among other things, my family's beloved church is destroyed:


St. Thomas the Apostlic Catholic Church, which sits on U.S. 90, celebrated its 100th anniversary in August. It is now gone.


When Camille hit in 1969, Long Beach residents were able to hold Mass in St. Thomas School gym. There is nothing left of that but the superstructure.


For more information visit the Sun Herald.

I don't know what else to say besides asking everyone to pray with me today...thanks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lisa - I saw a picture of St. Thomas today on the Sun Herald's website and it's still standing; or at least it was still standing at the time the pictures were taken. The inside is completely gone and it may very well be the case that the structure's integrity is compromised, so it may need to be demolished. But maybe there's a hope that it's something less of complete destruction. Also, I saw an overhead shot of the area where the law firm is, and it doesn't look good unfortunately...