Sunday, August 21, 2005

Back to School

The school supplies have been purchased, labeled and sorted by child. They are strategically organized in the new, compartmentalized backpacks.

The hair has been cut and there are shoes that fit properly and meet uniform code.

The number two pencils have been sharpened to dramatic points.

The white uniform shirts, ironed and hanging at the ready, will make their debut tomorrow and will, for one day, not have any stains on them when they are donned.

The forms, slips, questionnaires, and documentation have been filled out and have the appropriate checks attached (yep, my kids go to Catholic school - so half of this month's checks will be payable to their school).

The boys have been read to, prayed with and tucked into bed (the teenager did negotiate for a later bed time this year). They're not asleep - but they know that the wake up call will be approximately three hours earlier than they're used to tomorrow.

We're all ready...right?

I have a terrible reputation for hating "back to school". It's so bad that a few years ago, a local paper even did a news story about it! The article commented on one mom (me) who avoided all the other moms' gleeful first day of school celebrations in lamentation of the fact that she missed her kids too much.

It's so bad that at this morning's 9:30 mass some of my fellow parishioners checked in on my mental health status and told me they had Kleenex prepared for me for tomorrow.

I think I'm as ready as I'll ever be to send my first born off to 8th grade, where he and his classmates are looking forward to ruling the roost. I'm ready for a year of fun and learning, with teachers who are among the finest human beings I've ever met. I'm ready to see my friends in the parking lot and hear my kids' stories of reuniting with their buddies on the fields at lunchtime.

Blessedly, our school year always commences with an outdoor prayer service first thing in the morning on the first day. We gather as students, teachers, and a surprisingly large faction of parents, to pray for the Lord's intercession on this, another year of learning and living.

There will be songs, hugs, petitions, and yes, probably a few tears on my part. But there will also be the realization that my children are at a wonderful school, surrounded by teachers who love them and families who share our faith and values...and for that blessing I am grateful, and ready.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course, I'm crying, and I am sure you dad will be too when he reads this...wonder where you get it? I can't wait to hear how the day went..

Anonymous said...

Dear Lisa -- You captured in words what your Mother always felt. I remember her shedding tears on Michael's first day of school, because he was our youngest, and that was going to be her last "first day of school". She provided going-to-school ligistical support for all five of you from 1968 when you were in kindergarten to 1995 when Michael graduated from high school -- and she loved every minute of it. You are like her -- doing good just for the sheer joy of doing good. God bless all mothers and teachers. We dads are among the lucky beneficiaries of moms like you and yours. L & M, Dad

Anonymous said...

Today was my one and only child's first day of kindergarten at my alma mater--a Catholic school in a community just south of Fresno. She was all smiles--me less so. She loved her first day, loved the new things, loved her teacher and--hopefully will continue to love learning all of her life.