Thursday, July 07, 2005

The sweetness of being Auntie...

On the eve of our return trip home, I'm reveling in three days spent with my wonderful nephew Evan. Evan is a doll, bright red hair, thirteen months, and just learning to walk. The past few days have been filled with as much time as I can pack in with him - morning diaper changes, trips to the playground, long morning walks, feeding him lunch, putting him down for afternoon naps - you get it: just generally going about the course of his normal day and trying to spend as much time with him as I can. My own big boys have been very patient while I've spent all this time doting on Evan, just trying to hold and love him as much as I can in this too short a time.

In the mean time, back in California, my newest nephew, Patrick, made his arrival a few weeks early! I hoped to be home in time to welcome him into the world, but he was impatient and I don't blame him. He weighed in at 6'6", and is very healthy and totally adorable. His arrival is the only reason I feel in a rush to get back to California. I can't wait to hold him! Having family spread so far apart can be difficult emotionally, but I feel blessed to be able to travel and visit as much as we do.

OK, time to go get some rest in anticipation of long hours on the road during the next few days. Blogging may be sporadic - Our thoughts and prayers go out to all of the victims in London, and to those in the South who may be facing a big weekend storm. If you're traveling, drive carefully please!

No comments: