Friday, July 29, 2005

Sprucing Up a Bit

We're expecting important VIP guests in mid August, so it's time for me to get my guest quarters in order!

Last night, Greg and I spent the night painting our guest room - we've discovered in the past year that we make an excellent painting team. I prep the room, take off all of the fixtures, move the furniture to the center of the room, and take down anything on the walls. He spackles, repairs and mixes and pours the paint. While he paints the ceiling and tight spots, I tackle the wide open expanses with the roller. As Greg finishes off the trim (I don't trust my eyes or the steadiness of my hand enough for brush work), I am typically curled up in a corner - ostensibly to give moral support in the waning moments of the project. In actuality, I'm usually asleep! He wakes me up and I smile with glee at the completed project.

We finished the guest room last night in about five hours. There's still a little touching up to be done today, but it's always amazing to me that a coat of paint can bring such new energy to a space. I used to let Greg do these types of projects alone, but I've discovered that I am at least semi-handy and that it's a great way to spend time with my husband. We talked about all sorts of interesting topics as we painted and the project got completed much more quickly than if either of us had worked alone.

We keep a running list of projects that need to be done - I'm sure you have one of those too! At this point of the summer, I always glance at the list and realize that I was overly optimistic about what could be accomplished. But at least this one is done, and we're ready to receive our VIP guests!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

VIP Guests? Does that mean that you won't have room for Meg and I?

Unknown said...

Meg is the VIP goofball! And since you're driving her, we're going to give you a room too! Can't wait to see you!