Friday, July 29, 2005

One Last Painting Post...

I just had to share this one last item on painting, and then I promise, I'll stop! Out of curiosity, I went to Catholic Online to look up the Patron Saint of Painters, thinking maybe I should invoke his blessings prior to our next project.

Imagine my happiness when I learned that the Patron Saint of Painters is St. Luke! St. Luke is also the Patron Saint of Physicians. For those who don't know, my husband Greg (a physician) took Luke as his confirmation name when he joined the Church a few years ago...so this is one thing I can't wait to share with him! Greg loves painting around our house and is a great painter!

Catholic Online shared the following tidbit on St. Luke:

A tradition that Luke was a painter seems to have no basis in fact. Several images of Mary appeared in later centuries claiming him as a painter but these claims were proved false. Because of this tradition, however, he is considered a patron of painters of pictures and is often portrayed as painting pictures of Mary.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Lisa -- My favorite author is Taylor Caldwell. She wrote a marvelous biography of St. Luke entitled "Dear and Glorious Physician". A segment of the book is dedicated to St. Luke's touching relationship with Mary. With Greg's Confirmation name Luke and your middle name Marie, perhaps your beautiful marriage is extra blessed by these two magnificent personages. L & M, Dad

Unknown said...

Hey, I'm going to check that book out at the library - it sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing it!

Unknown said...

Daddy, Thanks for this recommendation! I looked it up at the library this morning and it looks to be quite and undertaking. The audio version is 23 cassettes (32 hours) and the "digest" condensed version is 374 pages...but the reviews on Amazon were largely positive, so it sounds worth the effort.

Unknown said...

Daddy, Thanks for this recommendation! I looked it up at the library this morning and it looks to be quite and undertaking. The audio version is 23 cassettes (32 hours) and the "digest" condensed version is 374 pages...but the reviews on Amazon were largely positive, so it sounds worth the effort.